This idea taken from Drama for Children (OUP) and provides teachers with a fun and easy way to bring action into chants.
Level: Preschool / 1st cycle primary
Time: 10-15 minutes
– Review adjectives
– Work on language in a meaningful way
– Promote active learning
– Develop gross motor skills
Materials: Whiteboard or blackboard with drawing of different sized ‘characters’ (see PDF file – download below).
Make sure the vocabulary you are working on is reflected in the magazines. Divide children into pairs or groups of three.
1. Learn the poem (see PDF)
2. Draw ‘characters’ from the chant on the board (see PDF)
3. With the children, think of ways to show the different sizes/emotions through actions or miming.
4. Practice the chant and do the actions.
Students can find pictures in their books or in magazines of people/things that are tall, happy, small etc.
For more details on this activity and some possible variations download this PDF.